Thursday, August 29, 2013

Donkey for Reading

I'm starting to learn what jet lag is... and for those of you who don't know let me explain:
It is evil.  I couldn't go to sleep last night for hours and kept waking up randomly.  Then when I did have to get up this morning I thought at some random time in the night an elephant accidentally fell on my face and head.  Good thing for coffee because it got me through the morning and now I'm going to take a nice little nappy-poo before our 6:30pm conditioning and practice after that, which should just be a (insert sarcastic font here) joyous occasion. 

Short story: my roommate and I walked around for a few hours today and bought groceries.  
Long story: what really happened is I struggled through life.  We wanted to find out where the mall was, so I asked to men who were doing some landscaping and didn't speak English to well.  They pointed us in the right direction and I decided to throw out my first German word of conversation and yelled "donkey!" as we walked away.  What I really was trying to say is danke (don-ka).  Smooth.  
We grabbed some lunch and other stuff at the mall, which by the way has some American shops but for the most part it was all in Keija;kdij blah blah Ijdka;ifjsch.  Next came the grocery store quandaries.  Normally I'll buy 1% milk and fat free yogurt, but here there are 0,1% fett, 3,5% fett, and 10% fett... maybe a few in between.  Fett clearly means fat, even a 2 year old could figure that out, but why did they decide they needed to but two numbers together like that?! I'm still lost on that one.  We made it out of there with only one old man getting hit by my shopping cart (sorry fella) and a week supply of groceries.. and possibly non fat yogurt, I'm still not sure. 

Pictures!

 The neighborhood! White houses + red roofs, lovely.
 Some awesomely ancient looking cathedral that if you look closely in the second "view from my room pictures" below you can see pointing up out of the city.  If you're lucky I'll try to find out some history on it, but no promises.
 There's a bakery EVERYWHERE.  My roommate and I walked around for 3 hours today and probably passed more bakery's per square mile than Starbucks in downtown Seattle.  Apparently German's like their bread... and their meats...


 First German bought food for a few Euros.  To my sadness it had a ton of mayo on it, no thanks.
 The next two pictures are the view from my room and the third picture (bottom left) is the view from our kitchen.  Our apartment is tiny but cute, and for some reason the washing machine (which is in the kitchen next to the oven) says "Alaska".  Say whaaaat?




 Thousand Island?  AH 'MUUURICA!!!



Auf Widersehen!

No comments:

Post a Comment