Saturday, September 14, 2013

Cake & Basketball... Okay, I Guess I Can Get Used to This

Today the younger women's team for our club hosted a 6 hour long tournament that included the men's team and our team.  (Side note: TSV Viernheim basketball has a men and womens team and also a younger womens team and they're working on building the youth program as well).  To keep us fueled and ready to rumble we ate cake between games.  I packed a sandwich not knowing what food was going to be there besides cake (ended up being nothing), and one girl came up to me and asked "You're eating a sandwich when there's CAKE?!" Daaaaang sorry, just trying to get some greens and protein into my life.  I do have to say though, kuchen [koo-ken] (cake) here is deeeelicious.  Their cakes aren't like American cakes at all, there's no frostings and a lot of time there's fruit in the cake.  Also, if you want to make chocolate chip cookies here you can forget about it... they don't have chocolate chips!  But don't worry they have every other chocolate and candy humanly possible.

Oh, and let me just tell you about the water real quick.  The first tournament I played here they brought a case of water, and I made the mistake of just popping one open like I would normally do and started chugging.  Well, little did I know they like to drink sparkling/gassed water here instead of "still" water.  My first reaction = "YUCK!" ... 2-3 sips later... "yuuuummm..." Apparently there's an American every year who gets converted by the gassed up water.. I guess it's my turn this year.

Time to go roll into the bathroom (I ate a lot of cake) and shower away the 6 hours of nasty, awesome sweatiness.  Hasta la vista.. oh wait that's Spanish.. Tschuss! (Bye)

No comments:

Post a Comment