Thursday, September 19, 2013

The Big Practice Before the Big Game

Last night we had scrimmaged a team in our conference for a trial run to work out some kinks before our big game against USC-Hedielberg (a top team in our conference) on Saturday in their haus (house).  Our scrimmage (versus a team by the name of Leimen) was complete with two officials... who of course had to call me for that stupid open step travel and allow their huge post to practically fist fight me off the ball but call me for on the ball fouls when I grazed her with my fingernail.  Oh Euro Basketball, how will I ever adjust (answer = BEFORE SATURDAY!!).  

Intimidating Bunch // TSV Viernheim 2013-2014 Team

So overall conclusion about our scrimmage... wir gewonnen (veer geh-vone-en) aka, we won... and pretty handily at that.  We have gotten considerably better since our preseason tournament games, probably in part due to the addition of our main German point-guard who was on vacay for our tourney.  

Update on my German: I can read a few sentences in children's books now.  And by children's books I'm talking for 2 and 3 year olds ha!  But hey progress is progress. :) 

Some weird things I forgot to mention in my last blog about driving in Germany.  
  1. The lights count down to when you can go (red, yellow, green) in addition to counting down for when you stop (green, yellow, red).  I like to think I'm in Mario Kart and it's counting me down to start, but when I try to red shell or banana peel a terrible German driver it doesn't work.  (If you've never played Mario Kart you have no idea what I'm talking about and if you have played you better be laughing!)
  2. When you're driving along a road in town... it's super crowded and there's really only space for one car because there's cars also parked along the side of the road.  So instead of playing chicken, one car has to patiently pull over onto the curb and wait while the other car squeezes by.
  3. Parking along the side of the road is actually parking up on an elevated sidewalk.  Our little beater doesn't have any power steering... so getting that hunk o' junk up onto the curb via parallel parking makes me break out in a sweat every time!
  4. Yielding is crazy weird here.  So how do I explain this... okay... while driving straight through town I see a connecting road upcoming on my right.  It's my job to slow down, check to see if anyone is coming, and then go on ahead - even though I'm the one going straight!! So, God forbid, if someone is coming I better dang well yield and/or stop or expect to be T-boned. 
P.S. Comment if you like, they are appreciated! :)  And not just from my mom, love you though mama.  

1 comment:

  1. What an adventure you are having. Am enjoying your blog.

    ReplyDelete