Monday, September 2, 2013

Heidelberg Adventure

Hello, hello!  Today my roommate and I traveled south 45 minutes by train to the nearby town of Heidelberg, one of Germany's touristy towns.  Enjoy the pictures and thanks for reading!

Nothing says good afternoon like a vanilla filled crepe and a nice cup of coffee.  I had a heck of a time trying to order just a normal drip coffee!  Good thing the waiter was pickin' up what I was puttin' down. 

This was just the beginning of an about mile long stretch of buildings that were side by side with alley ways every 400m or so (yeah I said it.. METERS!!).

Here we have a nice close-up shot of some of the architecture.


And yes here we have on the left a quaint little clock displaying the time for the mass of people making their way through the tight little street by foot and on bikes.  Oh, and the occasional taxi or bus that would honk it's way through on less busy streets.

They have Starbucks!  Not that I'm a huge fan of their coffee or anything but it's always nice to see something American.  Also, pretty cool statue on the corner of the building!

Got to love these brick buildings and old-school windows.

You've also got to love the flowers in the windows!! Below you'll see the old-fashioned shutters that remind me of the movies where the lady would just push her way through the double doors of her window and shake out her laundry... and maybe yell at the noisy kids below or dump water on them, ha!

Really cool looking church, didn't end up going in but it was an impressive building from the outside. 

Check out these roads.. ALL cobblestones or brick!  Okay I lied to you, I'm not exactly sure what cobblestones are, maybe someone can help me out with this, but I'm guessing this is pretty close.

Now when I think "castle" I'm picturing Hogwarts from Harry Potter... What you see here in the distance definitely isn't a Hogwarts, nonetheless it's still a real-life castle!  Alysa 1, History 0.  

Hard to tell because of the lighting, but this bridge has one of those gates that comes down like in Braveheart or something... stinkin' cool!

Step 1) Meet the love of your life.  Step 2) Take a lock and lock it to the bridge.  Step 3) Throw the key to the lock into the river and seal your love away!  (Side note: Mr. Right, when we meet we'll be coming back here)

Some tall Alaskan chick blocking the view.

YES.

Uh... duh I bought it.

German's sure do love their candy! (And bread, meat, and beer)

Hey! Someone wrote a book about my life!

Love, love, love.

These are the awesome window shutters I was talking about!  They are everywhere here.

Oh don't mind him, he's just hangin' out.

Zoomed in on the top of this building, not entirely sure what it is.  There is one thing I know though, it was worth a photo!

You got me on what this building is.

I can now check off drinking beer in a mug with a handle off my bucket list... Yeah, yeah I know... that's a weird thing to have on your bucket list. 

Amidst drinking beer out of a mug with a handle, a  newly married couple came to take some wedding photos in none other than STARBUCKS.  Seriously?! Out of all the cool places on this road they picked Starbucks?  They better have met there.

No idea what's goin' on with this hair-doo.  P.S. he was smoking, EVERYONE smokes here and I want to slap them for contaminating my perfectly good air.

Passing thru some farmland on the way back home to Viernheim.  Thanks for reading!  Stay tuned.
                           

1 comment:

  1. We noticed in England there were a lot of smokers and they just threw their butts in the street. Love your blog.

    ReplyDelete